Directions: Use the themes, questions and video clips below to teach and learn with portions of C-SPAN's American Writers program featuring William Bradford and the Mayflower Compact. Link to the complete video clip list to identify clip descriptions and create your own lessons. Each theme contains questions and video clips appropriate for varying grade levels. Lesson Credit:Curriculum Advisory Team members Barry Davis and Koleta Tilson.
1. What religious views did the pilgrims hold?
2. How did their religious views lead them to America?
3. How did religious views impact the community they created in Plymouth?
4. How did their religious views affect the choices they made in their day to day lives?
5. What is the legacy of the religious views in Plymouth today?
1. Who were the Wampanoag people?
2. What values and practices guided their lives?
3. How did the native peoples view the pilgrims?
4. List and describe some of the interactions the native peoples had with the pilgrims.
5. What impact did colonization have on native peoples?
1. What images, stories and values do you associate with "pilgrims?"
2. How can a myth get started and gain credibility over time?
3. What roles do myths and cultural symbols play in society?
4. How can myths help or hurt in the study of history?
5. How can one determine the truth behind a myth?